Monday, April 16, 2018

I keep ticking on

And now it's been four years since I last published anything on here. I was drawn to writing again because I was telling a much younger colleague (who is having some career dilemmas) about this blog and how writing it helped me articulate my frustrations and feelings. I also mentioned how much I benefited from the collective wisdom of those who have visited this site and commented or reached out in another way over the years.

Well a lot has changed since this blog started. I'm still a doctor - of sorts. I haven't practiced clinically for coming up to two years now.

I have found paths and directions that fit me better. I did manage to finish up all of my postgraduate training (in a hospital based area of medicine) whilst also pursuing my other healthcare interests.

How did I do it? Well the world is short of doctors and I managed to 'sell' to my employers that they could employ me less-than-full time. That way I was able to do some 'other bits and pieces.' There is no rule-book for this stuff and the mentoring is non-existent. I would have loved some advice along the way. It's good I had this blog 😉 (emojis didn't exist in 2005! isn't that crazy?)

I have also managed to spend a considerable amount of time abroad working in a totally different healthcare system. The grass is never greener; but having some time to walk on different lawns is definitely good for the soul.

And wow I'm approaching middle age now! I have kids! I still don't know quite what I want to 'do' with my life or career. But every step has been an adventure and I'm glad I had the courage to take those steps. When I talk to people about my career and experiences I do laugh inside - I'm able to tell the story like every step was planned and it comes across that way. How little they know!

As always I would say don't give up on yourself. I still have those dark times, those times when I feel I have nothing going for me, the times where the imposter syndrome is absolutely crippling. I suspect many of you do too. You will get through it.

I still read every comment that is posted on this blog (including the spam!) and although I don't reply any more I'm walking there right beside you. Stay strong and look after yourselves.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog. It has helped me a great deal in putting my life in perspective. Good luck☺

Unknown said...


happy independence day quotes
US Independence Day Wallpaper| 4th July Wallpaper 2018
US Independence Day Celebration 2018
US 4TH OF JULY INDEPENDENCE DAY SMS 2018
America celebrates fourth of july with parties,parades and lots of hot dogs JULY INDEPENDENCE DAY SMS 2018<US Independence Day Celebration at Redfort
US INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION AT OFFICE 2018
happy independence day quotes
US Independence Day Wallpaper| 4th July Wallpaper 2018
US Independence Day Celebration 2018
US 4TH OF JULY INDEPENDENCE DAY SMS 2018
America celebrates fourth of july with parties,parades and lots of hot dogs a>
America celebrates fourth of july with parties,parades and lots of hot dogs

narwhaldatapartners said...

The article is quite attractive and informative.And We Narwhal Data Partners Provide Wide Range Of Updated Physician Email List . Healthcare Industry or Medical Industry is one of the world's largest and fastest-growing market opportunities for disruptive innovators to create transformational businesses.Not all vendors provide you with the obsolete and unverified email list. We are the leading database vendor and pioneer suppliers of email database for any domain in any industry that you opt for. We provide you with a result-oriented and customer-centric email list which enables you to make a quick sale which increases your online and offline revenue.
Narwhal Data Partners creates various types of email database according to the client requirements with uncompromised quality which is the most needful tool for your business campaigns. We are mainly dealing in the email databases that are related to Information Technology and Healthcare industries for any city, state, and country

Anonymous said...

Seriously, dude (is that still a real word?), well-done on still being here and still being in the NHS - you deserve medal. You also deserve so much praise for this blog - it is inspirational.

I was going to be a medic, but I'm not, your blog provided sage-words along the way to stop me jumping ship and selling my soul - I still regret never committing, but, hey, life moves on and I, too, pursue other interests.

I'm something associated with the blue-light part of the NHS, so at least I get some satisfaction. Although...the NHS is a shit-show propped up by some dedicated and unrewarded people.

You once said, to paraphrase: "Life is random shittiness interspersed with brief periods of sunshine" (or whatever you said). Wise words.

Take care

Boris, Jeremy Hunt, JC Corbyn - we're all fucked.

Anonymous said...

Just sat my PACES exam and came across your blog through googling my woes. Thanks for sharing my pain even if it was 14 years ago for you. Wishing you well. x

Anonymous said...

I'm 55-year-old from Paris, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below,

Cancer

HIV/Aids

Herpes Virus

Bladder cancer

Brain cancer

Colon-Rectal Cancer

Breast Cancer

Prostate Cancer

Esophageal cancer

Gallbladder cancer

Gestational trophoblastic disease

Head and neck cancer

Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer

Kidney cancer

Leukemia

Liver cancer

Lung cancer

Melanoma

Mesothelioma

Multiple myeloma

Neuroendocrine tumors

Non-Hodgkin lymphoma

Oral cancer

Ovarian cancer

Sinus cancer

Skin cancer

Soft tissue sarcoma

Spinal cancer

Stomach cancer

Testicular cancer

Throat cancer

Thyroid Cancer

Uterine cancer

Vaginal cancer

Vulvar cancer

Hepatitis

Chronic Illness

Lupus

Diabetes

FibromyalgiaMen/Women Infertility & Menstrual Cramp.

petvet said...

Great job, I was doing a google search and your site came up for homes for sale in Altamonte Springs, FL but anyway, I have enjoyed reading it, keep it up!
Thank you, I’ve just been searching for information about this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now.

Read More: German shepherd husky mix